History

The old Hapag Terminal
The old Hapag Terminal

 

The historical Hapag-Terminal was built between 1900-1902 as the most modern state-of-the-art passenger facility of its time. It opened its doors to operation with the processing of the steamer "Graf Waldensee" on its route to New York on June 1st, 1902. The HAPAG/Hamburg America Line had transferred its sailing hub from Hamburg to Cuxhaven by 1889 in order to meet the growing demand in Trans-Atlantic travel. The Steubenhoeft (built 1911 - 13) became a quay of longing and a spring board to an uncertain future for an ever growing number of passengers. Only later, did this starting point become a place of departure for exclusive cruises on the world's seven seas. Yet, even after the passing of the steamship era, no matter where one looks it seems that every square meter of this quay still emanates a wistfulness, an echo bidding farewell and a wanderlust.

 

 

The Hapag Terminal today
The Hapag Terminal today

 

Vorausgegangen war eine bereits im 19. Jahrhundert lebhafte Entwicklung der Hafenanlagen, deren Spuren bis in die Gegenwart reichen.

 

The terminal from above
The terminal from above
Impressum | Datenschutz | Sitemap
© Förderverein Hapag Halle Cuxhaven e.V.